Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Selfish Sins II

I watched a star die today.
She was one that I always seemed to pay more attention to than the rest. She always shone so bright, flickering every now and again. I'd look up and she was always different than all the rest, an underdog of sorts. I had so much hope for this lone shining star, I prayed for her often. She'd wink and smile at me, always unsure but so beautiful.
I noticed recently that she seemed to shine brighter than the rest. I thought that she was so happy, having finally found her place among the other stars, glowing even in the darkest of darkness. Maybe she was better now, more than ever... But maybe the whole thing turned out to be a lie.
I've seen stars vanish into the darkness before. They flash brightly for only moments then disappear without any complaint... I never quite understood it. But this one star that I really wanted to survive finally just gave up.
I was watching her shine, smiling back at her when in the blink of an eye she was dragged into the oblivion of the darkness, of the world. She fell victim to her own selfish sin.
Now I watch as one by one the stars die. They're overtaken by the shadows and the reality and the heartless soul of love, the wildest and most painful sin of them all.
Maybe I should have known she'd fall, but she fooled me all the while.

No comments:

Post a Comment