Monday, December 8, 2008

Chronicles On A Dance Floor: Jess (Part 3)

Billy wandered away with someone I didn't recognize, leaving me in the center of the dance floor all alone. I sighed and searched for Charlie among the crowd.
That's when I saw him.
James was standing at the bar with his hand on the waist of a girl that I have never met before. He smiled at her, his eyes practically undressing her right in front of me. My heart froze and I spun around.
Why am I here?
I looked back where he was standing, but he was gone now. I stumbled to the bar, throwing some bills onto the counter.
"Give me the best you got!" I shouted over the music at the bartender. He nodded and poured me a shot, which I drank in one swallow. "Another!" He poured me a second and I drank it down just as I had the first.
I stepped away from the bar and stared at all the overdone faces as they danced. Why are some girls so naive? I couldn't see Billy or Charlie anywhere and I was--
Oh my God, there's those eyes again. Was it just me or was he now looking right at me? He was dancing with the same girl from earlier, kissing her every now and again while I stood there and stared.
Why am I here?
I turned around, faking indifference and I walked back onto the dance floor, swaying to the music wildly by myself. I just wanted to dance, I didn't want to think of him anymore. He could never be mine. I was indifferent to him. I could feel my body edging towards the door, but instead I returned to dancing.
I'm indifferent, let me go. I couldn't let him win. I wasn't done pretending yet, I was never done pretending yet.
Never mind a heart that's broken, right?
I resumed my search for Charlie and Billy, hoping to fight his hold on me. I wandered around a bit before I found her.
Charlie was laying in a puddle of her own leftovers next to the far wall. I rushed to help her.
Why am I here? I have nothing for him now.

I have nothing for you now.


No comments:

Post a Comment